Thursday, November 17, 2011

Alexander Wraps Up 2011 Season

Courtesy of NVW Motorsports Promotion

Smith Mountain Lake, Va. -- Blake Alexander and the Larry Miersch-owned Exide Technologies Top Alcohol Dragster team wrapped up their 2011 season this past weekend at the Auto Club Finals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California. The weekend made up for the results of the previous outing in Las Vegas.

"Larry (Miersch) drove the car at the Las Vegas divisional after we didn't qualify at the national event a week prior, trying to sort out the issues. We got them fixed during qualifying at Pomona, with the best pass being 5.52 at 261 MPH. I entered eliminations lined up against #4 qualifier, Megan McKernan. I have raced her before, so I knew that I would have to be on my game," claimed Alexander.

Blake certainly was on his game. His .80 light put him in the lead at the starting line and the car kept him in the lead through the finish line. Blake's 5.42 was too much for McKernan, who ran 5.50. The next round would yield different results.

"The crew gave me a quick and fast car, but I let them down. I really felt that I was focused on the tree, yet I had one of the worst lights that I probably have ever had (.172). I really wanted to have a good finish for Exide and the rest of the sponsors, but something didn't click. It definitely won't happen in the future. Larry and the crew put a very quick car under me. After the slow light, the car ran 5.34 at 273 MPH, which is the best speed for the car," Blake said.

Despite the second round loss, Blake is pleased with his rookie season in both Top Alcohol Dragster and Fuel Funny Car.

"I really had a lot of fun with Larry Miersch, James Day and the rest of the crew with the Exide car. They were really helpful in teaching me how to drive the car. I was able to use their tips in my time with Paul Smith in the nitro Funny Car as well. To win rounds in my first year in Top Alcohol Dragster and qualify in my first race in the Funny Car, it really was a great season," said Alexander. "As for next year, those plans are still in the works. I should have something to announce over the winter."

Blake has been nominated for Top Alcohol News' Reader's Choice Awards for Rising Star of the Year. To vote for him, visit the TAN website (http://www.topalcoholnews.com/) or the Top Alcohol Racing News Facebook page (www.facebook.com/topalcoholnews).

Keep up with Blake Alexander over the off-season. Find AFM Racing on Facebook and Twitter (www.twitter.com/afmracing).

Blake Alexander Racing partners with the following high-quality companies: Exide Technologies, Auto Plus Auto Parts Stores, Gates Belts and Hoses, Standard Motor Products, Wix Filters, Tenneco Automotive, Monroe Shocks, Thrush Exhaust, Rancho Lifts, Pro Jack Race Car Stands, and Valvoline Motor Oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment