Thursday, November 3, 2011

TAN Driver Blog-Brandon Booher-TAD

So here we are at the end of another racing season. Luckily this is the 18th time I've been able to say that in my relatively short time on this earth. A time used to spend roughly the same amount of money as during the season and have exponentially less fun (sending parts out for recert, ordering new parts, not racing). OK, so maybe not as much money but for sure less fun. I also use this time to reflect on the season that was and how we can improve and continue our success the following year. 2011 was a very good year for me. Statistically not my best, but given the level of competition and playing field; no doubt it's up there. The racer in me only see areas where we could have been better.


There were several "screw-ups" that cost us valuable points, but there were also many high points that we hadn't reached on the NHRA platform. We had lots of silly stuff bite us this year; blower belt issues, rod issues, injector line, batteries/starter, you name it. The glass half full view on those is the fact that through it all, our car was hauling the mail. We never had a bad tuneup or struggled with being lost, just plain bad luck a few times.

I've gotten a very firm grasp on what our car needs and wants, it just takes time to make it all come together. I may be the most competitive person in the alky pits; I know no ends and will put my head down and work until I'm at the top of my game. The main thing we lack regarding performance is money. Now the two don't necessarily relate except in the regard that you can know what you need or want....but you better have the money to buy it. The days of "free stuff" are nearly over and if you don't have the dough it can be tough.

For 2012 we aren't going to be changing a whole lot. I've got a few small ideas we are going to try, but primarily I'm refining what I established in 2011. I don't buy into the cylinder head game, blower blueprint, whiz-bang nonsense, which is good for us because I don't have anyone footing the bill except for family. If you're in a hole, stop digging -- that is what we did towards the end of the 2010 season, then spent 2011 improving in very small steps with consistency being our main focus. I think I've been beat off the line once in the last two years so we knew we just needed to not beat ourselves to have a chance. That strategy paid dividends this year and on top of that, we outran a lot of other cars.


Now that we have a vast amount of solid data, 2012 should be another year of marked improvements. At Reading, we became the only torque converter car to eclipse the 5.3x barrier and to go over 265 mph. This is quite significant for many reasons -- first, nobody thought it would ever happen. Yes, there were people who said it should and it could; ask them how much money they would have bet. Now all I'll hear is you only did it once and it was at Reading in good air. To that I say this...we broke an intake rocker at 4.6 and the track was a POS for blown cars, especially a converter car. I do look forward to the challenge of making the car a consistent thirty player, don't doubt me!

All of the previously mentioned wouldn't have been possible without a few things....namely people. My dad, Aaron Booher; we've raced together for 18 years and everything that I know is thanks to him and him alone for letting me have this as a platform to learn. My girlfriend, Shannon, who works 60-70 hours a week and still manages to work on the car at the shop, drives to races by herself through the night, and is generally the happiest person in the entire track. My brother, Brian Booher; anytime finances get tight, Brian will leave his CC on the shop table and let me order whatever I need. He's yet to charge me interest, so I better get him a pretty sweet Christmas present.

Our "drive-in guys", Pete Brady, Drew Fluehr, Ed Russell, John Halloran, and Nate Van Wagnen -- each one of them has brought their own small thing to the table and helped our team to succeed. Pete and Drew namely have attended every race this year, missed work, brought a motorhome, and worked their asses off and smiled the entire time (side note: they are REALLY good at pulling the trans out!). Without these fine folks I wouldn't be writing what I am now, simple as that. I may think that I can do it all but in reality it takes a team of people dedicated to the same things as me....which is what I have and I'm very thankful for that!



That's about all I have for now, I'll update more as the off season progresses. As of right now, that car is down to a bare chassis and I'm looking for more stuff to anodize. My dad is in his office contemplating shipping me off somewhere....but he'll probably come to his senses soon enough. We'll be at the IMIS Show on Saturday...whatever day in December that is and then we'll attend the D3 banquet as well. If you're around, please make sure to say hello as I always look forward to hearing from people. Have a safe and happy holiday season and remember to spay and neuter your pets.

Brandon Booher

Vote for me for the NHRA Division 3 Driver of the Year and Mechanic of the Year!
Division 3 Special Awards Voting


No comments:

Post a Comment