Wednesday, December 28, 2011

TAN Driver Blog-Cassie Simonton-TAFC

The end to an amazing year...

2012 is quickly approaching and I can't explain how excited I am to see what it has to offer. We ended our 2011 season in Indy during the U.S. Nationals on such a high note that I know we will come out strong in 2012! In Indy, we made four strong qualifying passes, which put us in the #8 spot and matched us up with Jay Payne in the first round. I knew I really had to be on top of my game for that round if I wanted to take Jay out. He was the defending event champ and was also the one who took me out first round in 2010 at that race. I sat in my car and practiced my reaction times for a good hour before first round and it paid off. I had my best reaction time of the year and we made our best run of the weekend to take out Jay Payne first round.

My team was so excited at the end of the track; you would have thought we just won the whole race. It was the biggest race of the year, though, and we did just take out the defending event champ first round, so we did have a good reason to celebrate. The best part for me was when we were towing back in front of the grandstands and everyone was clapping and cheering for us. I can't thank my fans enough for all of their support. Those moments are really what make this job so rewarding. We may have ended the weekend by losing to Frank Manzo second round, but we still gave him a good run; it just wasn't enough.

I really want to take the time to thank my great crew guys. Without them, I wouldn't be able to be out here living my dream with such a great car to race. They work so hard and always have an upbeat, positive attitude. I am still new at driving this Top Alcohol Funny Car, but they believe in me and have been nothing but supportive through my learning process. I can't wait to get back out there with them in 2012 and get them that Wally that they so truly deserve.


I got to go back home to Minnesota and spend a couple weeks with my friends and family. Below is a picture of me and my 13 year old sister. She also has a love for racing. She has been driving her junior dragster for three years now and has been doing very well. She is the 2011 Champion at Grove Creek Raceway and I'm very proud of her. It was so nice to spend time with all of my family for Christmas, but now I am ready to get back to work on my race car. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and wish all of you nothing but the best for the New Year!



Cassie Simonton is the driver of Spiro Kontos' Kon Rodz Racing Top Alcohol Funny Car. You can follow Cassie on Twitter at @CassieSimonton.

No comments:

Post a Comment