Wednesday, July 31, 2013

VIDEO: Demke Set to Defend Northwest Nationals Title

Courtesy of NVW Motorsports Promotion
Photo courtesy of Maddern Racing



SEATTLE, Wash. (July 31, 2013) – Top Alcohol Dragster points leader Chris Demke returns to Seattle’s Pacific Raceways this weekend to defend his O’Reilly Northwest Nationals title. Chris won last year’s event in one of the sport’s most bizarre final rounds, where he defeated rival Jim Whiteley in an 11.37 to 11.76 race – a few seconds slower than their typical 5.2-second elapsed times.

“I guess that’s a final round that will go down in history. Jim and I both crossed the finish line at over eleven seconds with our parachutes out. It was a very helpless feeling. I knew my motor blew up. Typically when that happens you just watch the other guy go by you to take the win. As I coasted down the track,  I felt the parachutes blossom I and pushed in the clutch. I realized that Jim wasn’t going by me. The motor blew up at three seconds into the run so that means I coasted for eight seconds. That was eight of the longest seconds of my life. I crossed the finish line and saw my win light come on, and then just exploded into laughter. I had no idea what happened but I won the race and that’s all that mattered at that point,” Chris recalled.

Demke’s Peen Rite/Operational Solutions team has a history of success at this event, reaching at least the semifinals in their last four appearances at the Northwest Nationals, including wins in 2010 and 2012, and a runner-up in 2009.

Chris enters this year’s Northwest Nationals with four 2013 national event final rounds under his belt, including a win at Maddern Racing’s most recent national event, the Route 66 Nationals in Chicago. That record coupled with runner-up finishes at the recent Jegs Allstars and Woodburn regional events give Demke confidence.

“I think we’ve done well at national events this year. Looking at our recent performance I think we can continue that this weekend. I haven’t looked at the forecast yet but if the weather and track are good I think this Peen Rite/OSI/Cleanboost Oil car can thunder. I’m looking forward to making some fast laps and coming home with the Wally,” said the fan-favorite blown alcohol dragster driver.

Though his results at this race will affect his national points battle with Jim Whiteley, Chris says the team generally doesn’t let the points situation determine how the team runs their race.

“It’s hard not to look at the points, but it’s a little deceiving how the sportsman points are tallied. Though I have more points than Jim, I’m also counting one more race than Jim and the other drivers behind me. I’m leading points but my points per counted race are lower than Jim’s. We try not to look at the points. If I’m on top, that’s great. We try not to let it affect our tune-up – we just go out there, try to have a good time, and win.”

Top Alcohol Dragster qualifying at the O’Reilly Northwest Nationals is scheduled for 2:15 and 4:45 PM on Friday, August 2nd. Final round of qualifying is set for 11:30 AM on Saturday, followed by first round of eliminations at 4 PM. 


Maddern Racing, celebrating 20 years of competition in 2013, is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/OSI/Cleanboost Oil dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, and Ron Mann. For more information on Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Operational Solutions Inc., Cleanboost Oil, A1 Technologies, Boninfante Friction Inc., and Hoosier Racing Tire.
 

1 comment:

  1. It's a great article and nice video of car racing. I am really passionate for car racing and keep searching related stuff for the same. I love this blog and the blog post also. Keep sharing.

    Canadian Race Tracks

    ReplyDelete