Friday, August 23, 2013

TAN Driver Blog - Dave Hirata - TAD

Summer Vacation




So what does a Top Alcohol Dragster owner/driver do during a 4.5 week layoff? Work on Top Alcohol Dragster? That’s what I should be doing. But reality is I have a real job. Hirata's Lowell Body Shop, Lowell Automotive and Hammer'd restos and customs is what fuels my life fire. It’s why I have opportunities in life. Racing is in my blood. Genetically I didn’t have a choice. But our business is my real life. Lowell body shop was established in 1956 by my parents. It’s all I know and do. It’s the only job I’ve ever had. I just heard this saying, "if you love what you do, it is NOT a job" So true.

What really gives me the opportunities I have are my FANTASTIC EMPLOYEES. They make it happen...and to them, THANK YOU. I leave and the place does not miss a beat. I could probably work from home, but I was sternly told by my office manager, Nicole, that will NOT happen.

With that, the race car got put on the back burner to catch up on some real work. I also got a phone call from Route 66 Raceway a few weeks ago.  They chose my mom and dad to be their "LEGENDS" for that evening. It was a very thoughtful thing to do from them. Not a bad year for my parents - Garlits Hall of Fame, got a Norwalk nationals win, and a Legends award. In turn, we also did a little testing at Joliet that night, too. So I did get some race car action in.

Now starts our second Midwestern swing. We start at Bowling Green, move on to the U.S. Nationals and then off to Iowa. Three weeks of misery/fun coming up.  Now, what I really have to look forward to after the Iowa race is 3 days of punk rock at Riotfest in Chicago. Now there is a reason to go to work…Remember, opportunities?
 

Dave Hirata is the driver of the Hirata Motorsports/Schepel Auto Group A/Fuel Dragster. For more information on Hirata Motorsports, visit www.HirataMotorsports.com or like 'Hirata Motorsports' on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment