Monday, July 21, 2014

Driver Blog - Peter Walters

2014 was not going to plan for UK Super Pro ET racer Peter Walters and the Team Reloaded / Walters Motorsport team, with engine troubles at the start of the season resulting in poor qualifying and first round exits. Pete's season did however get a lot better when he receiced a phone call from longtime supporter Derek Flynn of  Gold RV:


Derek said, "Hey Pete, fancy getting your Top Methanol Dragster licence?" Derek knew it had always been a dream of mine to drive a TMD, especially an A/Fueler. After I got over the shock of the call, I didn’t hesitate to say yes! Derek and Gold RV have been longtime supporters of drag racing and have had a really positive influence in my racing career through Juniors, Super Pro ET and now Top Methanol. Thanks Derek - Fiona, Gary and yourself have become great family friends and it is a pleasure to have Gold RV on board, especially when I think of what Gold RV have achieved in Super Pro ET and Top Methanol Dragster in the UK, Europe and even Top Alcohol Dragster in the USA.

The licensing runs went really well. The first run wasn't perfect, as I had to get used to 3500 hp, a totally new car and start line routine, although I must say I felt surprisingly relaxed throughout the process. I believe that this is one of my strengths as a driver and with Derek and Dave Wilson I was being carefully tutored by two of Britain's TMD racing legends who between them have made some of the quickest and fastest TMD runs in Europe. We had a few delays on the day, but the excellent Santa Pod crew sorted it between showers and finally I made it down for the half pass.

The second run went a whole lot smoother, as at least I knew what to expect this time. The burnout was the hardest part, having to warm the carbon brakes whilst at the same time keep the revs under control. The second time staging went perfectly, onto the high-side (full fuel) which is one of the most awesome feelings ever: on full fuel and the clutch out and holding it on the brake the engine gets really angry and rattles the whole car about quite violently even on idle and you hear major cackles and banging going on behind you. It's just brilliant!

The lights ran and I was under instruction to nail the throttle for exactly four seconds unless I felt there was a problem, but I went straight down the middle, no problems, crossing half track at around 180 mph and despite lifting that early and pulling the chutes I crossed the finish line in 7.04 seconds smashing my Personal Best to date. The car had been detuned to allow me to get used to it and we even dropped cylinders on that run but it was an absolutely amazing experience.

Unfortunately rain stopped play, meaning that we could not make the full passes required to gain my licence. Derek, dad and Dave quickly sorted that out though and the remaining full passes to get my licence will be done prior to the European Finals, which will hopefully also help Dave and the team with some more run data after a few recent updates. I wish Dave Wilson and the Silverline team all the best for the European Finals... go Grumpy, A/Fuel it for England.

Thanks to Derek, Dave Wilson, dad and everyone who helped on the day. Everyone seemed very happy with the progress we made, it was an awesome experience and I cannot wait to do it again. I am not sure whose smile was bigger after each of the runs - mine, my dad's or Derek’s. Derek has been unwell recently so it was great to see him back at Santa Pod and happy - get well soon mate.

Many of our friends in Super Pro ET have asked "Are you leaving us?" I would like to say that we are and always will be committed to Super Pro ET, which we believe is one of the best Sportsmans classes in British drag racing. And now that we have sorted a competitive tune-up on our spare engine look out Super Pro ET, we are back. I wonder if you can, or if anyone has ever, double enter for both Super Pro ET and Top Methanol? Wow, that would be an amazing weekend, but you never know what may happen in the future, especially when you have Derek, Gold RV, RW and Dave Wilson Racing in your corner.

I can't thank Derek Flynn and Gold RV enough for supporting me. Gold RV Sales and Service Ltd celebrate thirty years in business this year and they are one of the best in the RV business. I love going to their RV Shop as they work on some awesome RVs as well as selling RVs for their customers, and they always seem to have something really interesting around the shop. Contact Derek, Gary or Fiona for anything RV! Old or new, big or small so long as it is American or Canadian, they can fix or get them all. Their web site is at www.goldrv.co.uk.

I also need to thank my dad, Richard; his love and support of my drag racing career is just the best and I feel really blessed for all the support I get from mum Julie, sister Holley and partner Jayne. Thanks to my long-standing crew Mick Slocombe and Tom Watts who also enjoyed the whole experience too, and my good friend Matt Cox who documented the day in photos.

Thanks to Dave Wilson for allowing me to drive his Nitro Beast, I just loved it! And thanks to all the crew on the day, Dave 'Grumpy' Wilson, David Wilson, Ricki Packham, James Blackman, Alistair 'Mole' Cole and Fiona Flynn.

Two goals I set myself when I started drag racing in Juniors were to win a Super Pro ET National Championship and to drive a Top Methanol Dragster, so I am half way there! We are working on the other half...

Photos courtesy of Dan Smith/Santa Pod

1 comment:

  1. Good work…unique site and interesting too… keep it up…looking forward for more updates.i was really impressed by your blog please keep on sharing such blog.
    APLH course

    ReplyDelete