Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Second-Gen Racer Megan Meyer Set to Make TA/D Debut at St. Louis Regional

Courtesy of NVW Motorsports Promotion
Photos courtesy of Randy Meyer Racing


 
SPRING HILL, Kans. (July 15, 2015) – The NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and its Top Alcohol Dragster class will see the next generation of Randy Meyer Racing next month when Megan Meyer makes her TA/D competition debut at the St. Louis regional event. The 22-year-old daughter of world championship car owner and tuner Randy Meyer will compete alongside her seasoned father twice this year in preparation for a full season in 2016.

“I am thrilled to say the least about this dream come true. I have always wanted to be the next NHRA second-generation driver, and I plan to keep drag racing for a very long time. My father has set some high goals for me with his success over the years, and I will follow in his footsteps and set my own records in the Top Alcohol Dragster ranks,” Megan said.

Meyer was originally scheduled to make her debut next season, but promising test session results and the right opportunities have allowed for a debut at Gateway Motorsports Park, August 7-8.

“My dad and I came to an agreement that I wouldn’t start racing Top Alcohol Dragster until I graduate from college at Pittsburg State University, and although I won’t finish my degree in Graphic Design Management with a minor in Digital and Web Design until December this year, I plan to compete in my first Top Alcohol Dragster race at the Lucas Oil Series regional races at St. Louis and at my home track in Topeka, KS in August. I am grateful that I’ve had the opportunity to test my dad’s A/Fuel Dragster for a few years now; it has helped me get my foot in the door and really get comfortable with the car since it is a big transition from Super Comp to Top Alcohol Dragster.”


Meyer enters the NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster ranks with a considerable amount of experience for her age. She started racing in NHRA's Junior Dragster League before stepping up to 175 mph Super Comp dragsters. Megan was then presented with the opportunity to start testing in Randy's nitro-burning A/Fueler during Monday testing at the 2013 Gatornationals. She earned her license earlier this year and has since gained seat time at post-race test sessions, most recently after the Norwalk race.

“We decided to test out our new A/Fuel Dragster built by Chase Copeland and Copeland Race Cars and Fabrication on Monday after the NHRA Summit Nationals so I can have some more seat time before my first race. It was a great opportunity for me to learn more about driving the A-Fueler, and I got the taste of smoking the tires for the first time. It was quite different, but I had a handle on the car and we were able to make a full pass of 5.43 ET at 260 mph by the end of the day,” Megan noted.

Megan was sure to offer appreciation for her supporters who helped in her journey to the sport's quickest and fastest Sportsman category.

“I would like to thank the companies who have partnered with the Randy Meyer Racing team over the years: Lucas Oil, NGK Spark Plugs, Gunk, Taylor Cable, Aeromotive, Quik-Latch, Boninfante, ARP Bolts, Goodyear, Weld Wheels, Aeroquip, Clevite, JEGS, and Simpson. A special thank-you to Herbalife for providing me with top-notch supplements to maintain optimum health and nutrition, to Smart Chicken for high quality, fresh chicken, and to all the family and friends who have helped us put together a strong team organization to support racing two A/Fuel Dragsters.”

ABOUT MEGAN MEYER
No stranger to a life in the fast lane, Megan Meyer grew up around the sport of drag racing. In 2004, at just 10 years of age, she was given the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a Junior Dragster, alongside her younger sister, and took over the driving duties with no hesitations. Megan stepped up to the Super Comp class in 2010 after a successful career in the Junior Drag Racing League, earning two track championships. She is now making the transition to Top Alcohol Dragster with her father and veteran driver Randy Meyer as her mentor and driving coach. Follow Megan on Facebook (www.facebook.com/meganmeyer.racing), Twitter (www.twitter.com/meyersisters), and Instagram (www.instagram.com/meganmeyer.racing).

ABOUT RANDY MEYER RACING
A highly respected member of the NHRA Drag Racing family, Randy Meyer has had a successful career spanning over 35 years of drag racing as driver, team owner, and crew chief from AHRA Pro-Comp to IHRA Top Fuel and NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster. Focusing on the things that brought the team to existence has been the reason that Randy Meyer Racing has been so successful. In 2002 he handed the driving duties over to Gary Ormsby Jr. to become the first Top Alcohol Dragster to run in the teens with a solid 5.135 ET. The following year, Meyer tuned Alan Bradshaw to become the NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster World Champion. Randy has returned to the driver’s seat since then, and has earned multiple Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Division 5 and Central Region points championships. For more information on Randy Meyer Racing, please visit www.RandyMeyerRacing.com and like RMR on Facebook (www.facebook.com/randymeyerracing).

1 comment: