Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Demke, A. Whiteley Win Route 66 Nationals

Courtesy of Todd Veney/Pro Sportsman Association



At the Route 66 Nationals in Chicago, overdue Chris Demke picked up his first win of the season in Top Alcohol Dragster, and Annie Whiteley prevailed at a national event for the first time in her career in Top Alcohol Funny Car.

Demke led Rishi Kanick wire to wire in the final for a 5.31 to 5.44 victory, his first in six 2013 finals, including the Jegs Allstars race the previous day, which he lost by just 12-thousandths of a second. "This kind of took the edge off the Allstars race," he said. "And it really helps us in the points, too. Going to all those finals and not winning makes you kind of give up on the points chase after a while, but now it looks like we're right back in it."

National points leader Jim Whiteley was upset by Matt Cummings in the first round, and perennial contender Bill Reichert was the first alternate, joining a star-studded cast of non-qualifiers that included Duane Shields, Randy Meyer, and John Finke, among others. Demke ran a 5.32 against Aaron Olivarez in round one, a 5.30 against Marty Thacker in round two, and a backpedaling  5.37 in the semifinals opposite Topeka winner Alan Bradshaw, who set low e.t. and top speed with a 5.22 at 273.11 mph.

Kanick, whose rookie season also includes a runner-up at the 4-Wide Nationals in Charlotte, got around early qualifying leader Dan Page, Chicago regional winner Brandon Booher, and Cummings, who turned in the best effort of his career. He picked up from low 5.50s in the middle rounds of eliminations to a 5.44 in the final but was well short of Demke's steady 5.31.

"We were pretty consistent all weekend," said Demke, who scored for the 10th time in his career, all in the past four years. "The track was a little slippery about 100 feet out in the last few rounds, but we tuned around it for the final. When you get to the final and lose, you did just as much work as the guy who beat you, so it's a relief to finally get the job done."

Whiteley, who was winless in two previous national event finals but undefeated in seven career finals in regional competition, beat Fred Hagen Jr. for the Top Alcohol Funny Car title, 5.60 to a shutoff 5.96. "The first time I was in a national event final, last year at Brainerd, it really hit me as I was backing up from the burnout," she said. "I was like, 'Oh my God, I'm in the final round of a national event. That's Frank Manzo over there.' I had a bad light, short-shifted, and he was way out in front of me all the way. I had the best seat in the house for that one. This time was different. Fred was running better than we were, but I just did my own thing, and it worked."

Whiteley beat Kris Hool, who red-lighted, with a 5.56, her best run of the weekend, in round one. "I didn't know he red-lighted – I never pay attention to that kind of stuff – and I couldn't believe I was so far behind him," she said. She then ran 5.60-flat three times in a row, against 2012 event runner-up Cassie Simonton, No. 1 qualifier Tony Bartone, and Hagen, to reach her third career national event final.

Hagen had the edge going into the final, dominating eliminations with a 5.53 against Wayne Butler in round one, a 5.52 (low e.t.) against Todd Veney in round two, and another  5.53 against Shane Westerfield in the semifinals – all at 260 mph. His slowest run was better than any other driver's best, but in the final, he was loose right from the hit.

"I don't know what happened," he said. "It didn't want to go straight from the time I left. It started shaking really hard right at the top of low gear, when I was getting over by the centerline. I probably should have shifted earlier, but I really didn't want to because we'd been running so good. She was way out there, and I just stayed with it over by the centerline until I could tell there was no way I was going to get her."

No comments:

Post a Comment