Thursday, June 14, 2012

TAN Driver Blog - Johnny Ahten - TAD

Well this is my first blog, so I guess I will start by introducing myself. My name is Johnny Ahten and I am fortunate to get to drive an A/Fuel dragster. I am married to Monica and we have two boys, Owen, 7, and Eli, 5. When not working on the car and running around crazy with the kids, I am a Fire Captain with the Los Angeles County Fire Department. I am a second generation racer and L.A. County fireman. I followed in my Dad's footsteps in both aspects of my life. I also get to spend a lot of time with him as he is the Crew Chief and does most of the work in between races. We run the car mostly out of pocket and out of the passion we have for drag racing and injected Nitro.


Summer is in full swing here in Southern California; the kids are out of school and swimming in the pool every day so far. The hot summer means we start going on more fires at work, which is the case right now. I am stationed in Lancaster and we pick up about one fire per day on average this time of year. Sometimes I post some pics on my Facebook page or Instagram, so be sure to check in and like Johnny Ahten Racing and you can see what I'm talking about.

Because we work 24 hour shifts, I live at work 1/3 of my life. I got off work this morning at 8 am and drove home to make pancakes for the kids, then after writing this I am going to head out and chase parts. First stop will be the race shop, which we built behind my Dad's house, then off to DJ Safety to drop off some pilot chutes for repair. Next, I'll head over to NSP (Norm Porter's) to do a little fab work before sitting in traffic on the way back. L.A. is pretty bad on traffic as with most places now a days. Oh yeah, we had an earthquake yesterday, a 4.0 in Yorba Linda (Force country). I hate earthquakes and fortunately I never felt that one.

I hope to make these blogs interesting, so check in and let me know if they're worth reading.


Johnny Ahten is the driver of the Ahten Racing/801 Racing A/Fuel Dragster.

No comments:

Post a Comment